Saturday, May 20, 2006

Little Dipper

A few weeks back I found myself standing sheepishly in a school corridor wearing nothing but a swimsuit, carrying a rather surprised neoprene-clad baby. This wasn't a bizarre dream induced by late night cheese snacking but the result of Oscar's enrolment onto a swimming course.
Five sessions later and he's quite the water baby, having swum underwater several times, learnt to float without support, started to hold on to the side of the pool and grab a plastic shark in the water (I think this is giving him mixed messages about sharks - grabbing real (non-pink) ones may not be such a great idea).
As a keen recreational swimmer (I spent a large part of my pregnancy submerged in chlorinated water), I'm delighted to see Oscar splash about fearlessly in the pool and develop skills that will keep him fit and safe around water in the future. So relaxed was he at the session last week that, rather astoundingly, he managed to fall asleep whilst floating on his back. Maybe I should trade in his cot for a flotation tank...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home