Friday, June 30, 2006

The Little Cheese

I distinctly remember telling myself when I was pregnant that I was going to try to make sure that my child didn't think he was the Centre of The Universe. I see so many children that have this air about them that says, "I'm the most important person that ever lived, and quite frankly my parents are a big pushover".
I'm getting concerned that Oscar is heading for the same fate (he has his own blog, for goodness sake!) But to tell you the truth I like spending all day playing with him (his toys are cool), and there's no way I could ever leave him to 'cry it out' alone in his cot. And he seems so happy and smiley most of the time, Neil and I must be doing something right.
I went to a party a few weeks back and a group of women yet to have children were chatting about how they would try to train their offspring to sleep until 8.30 every morning, not wake up crying at night, not have tantrums and eat everything that's placed in front of them. Very easy to say when the child you're referring to is theoretical and not a real live baby which melts your heart with a single gummy grin.
I guess it's pretty hard to spoil such a young baby anyhow. I like to think that when Oscar is older I won't let him run riot and Neil and I will be able to instill a level of discipline in him without taking the fun out of his childhood, but for now I guess I should enjoy indulging him in any way I can - which includes pushing the buggy on the shady side of the street (he doesn't like the sun in his eyes) and letting him chew my magazines. There's plenty of time later on for enforcing rules, but for now Oscar, I'm all yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home